Friday 28 September 2012

So it isn't only me, then...

About a week ago, I read a really interesting blog post about errors in craft books and over the years I, too have come across these.  However, recently I am discovering more and more of these but not just in books but magazines as well.
The first time I really came across this was about 25 years ago, I had bought a pattern book from a major wool retailer... I cast on my cardigan and started to knit the pattern but it just did not add up.  I ripped back, I cursed, I walked away, I started again.  Then I took to squared paper and still it did not work.  I rang the retailer to be told in no uncertain terms, that it must be my knitting that was at fault... the wool and the pattern are still in my wool chest (actually I might get it out and give it another go... if I can sit down and re-write the pattern).  Now, back then I did not have the confidence to say, "Actually I do know what I am doing and you know your pattern in wrong!" but you know what I do now, Be afraid be very afraid...

Last year I was making a dress from a pattern featured in a high end (err... you mean expensive) magazine, firstly, there was no indication of a seam allowance, so I assumed 5/8", there were patch pockets to be placed but no spots to show where tailors marking should be sewn to place the pockets.... and the interfacing did not fit.  I can honestly say I do not think that anyone who actually sewed had sat down and read the pattern, it was so frustrating as more was left out than included.  So I wrote a polite note to the editor explaining what was wrong and offering to test future patterns but like Diana Ross "I'm still waiting." (bet you are all oohing and aahing in harmony)
There is another popular knitting designer with her own line of yarns and whenever she brings out a new book my LYS will not sell it for a couple of weeks as they know that the errata slips will be sent out a couple of weeks later.
Currently I am making some children's clothes, and do you know what they have forgotten... how much allowance there is for the hem.  Well you know that hems can vary from 3" to about an inch... so I have stared at the pattern pictures and I am going to just make it up, and do you know what, it is really difficult to sew it up with crossed fingers.

So why am I moaning, well these mistakes are expensive and it is us the consumer who pays... I have probably over £100 of wool and fabric from projects undertaken from books or patterns that contain mistakes.  And that means it is now over to you, if it is wrong then tell the publisher and if they do nothing then the next thing to do is boycott them.

Finally, when I write my tutorials, I try to do it as I am writing but if you spot a mistake, then email me or make a comment and I will revise the post.

Right, now tell me, am I the only one?

4 comments:

Lyn said...

There seems to be a general lack of proof reading these days. It applies to many things and when I've parted with my hard-earned, I tend to get a little upset by it. As an example, I bought a 'textile handbag making' book and it didn't take me long to realise that the bag featured on the front cover didn't feature inside.
I wrote to the publisher and was told that it had been omitted by mistake.

If I write something for publication, I proof read it over and over. I know that's no guarantee that it will be 100% correct, but I will have given it my best shot.
I really do think that some things are not proof read at all.

Little Harriet said...

Luckily I haven't had any experience of this but I tend to use tutorials for inspiration rather than instruction for the exact thing.
It's terrible though that things aren't read, re read and then tried out ( I'd volunteer as chief tester!)it must be really frustrating as well as expensive, when things don't work out.

KC'sCourt! said...

No-one in my eyes proof-reads any more! I design my own patterns and when I started doing this I was advised to make the pattern three times. Make the item again by myself and to pass the pattern on to a friend who is prepared to try it out too! But saying about mistakes in magazines I have, a 1932 Needlewoman magazine with printing errors!
Julie xxxxxx

Fiddly Fingers said...

I had a problem with a crochet bag pattern a few years ago, an online pattern. I couldn't get it to go right and in the end did it as best I could, which incidentally turned out fine! Although I blamed myself for this, as I thought there couldn't possibly be a mistake in it! Looks like I may have been wrong!!