Saturday 3 December 2011

Small needs our support

At the beginning of the year I wrote a piece about using shops or losing them, so I was really sad today when I saw that our local toyshop was closing.  It took me back to saving up my pocket money to buy a tambourine from my local parade of shops, I have to be honest, it was something only a seven year old could love... On the face was a scene in a gypsy encampment with a wild haired girl dancing round the camp fire... but better still it had red and turquoise ribbons and frankly by the end of the day that I bought it, I could have joined the Sally Army such was my proficiency on the tambourine!  And yes I did wear my mum's headscarf...


So I am asking you all to buy at least one Christmas gift from a local shop or a small website and to tell us who they are.  Here are my local faves:
Cedar Tree - who are on the Broadway in Leigh, it is the best place to find the present you didn't know you needed
Natural Edge - also on the Broadway, it's where you go if you cannot find it in Cedar Tree
Goods and Chattels - on Rectory Grove, unusual gifts
Now on the web
1st Unique Gifts - Wendy does brilliant plaques and black boards, fantastic service
Red Needle Sewing - Caroline does fabulous free style embroidery and her items have a super finish
Claire Manwani - Pottery to die for!
Now let me know where else we should be shopping to support small businesses

3 comments:

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

Wow Ros thanks for this special mention! I too was disappointed to see two innovative shops and a gorgeous little 'affordable' art gallery close recently in my local town -such a pity, when what they offer is a fantastic customer service and unique products, something you don't find in big shopping malls! Sadly without local support and current economic conditions it was too hard for them to survive.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Excellent blog and superb style and design.

CarolC1 said...

I know what you mean. Parts of our town are beginning to look like ghost town streets. Its all the little shops, the ones that I loved. I hate supermarket shopping. I do try to support the village shops when I can.