Sunday 7 August 2011

A little bit of luxury - Alpaca Wrist Warmers

I have finally had the chance to write up the pattern for the wrist warmers... as you may remember they came about because a sample ball was sent to the LYS and I got to play with it.
The Pattern


Set of size 3.25 Double Ended needles (set of 5)
Set of size 4 Double Ended needles (set of 5)
1 Ball of Alpaca - 4ply (109m in length) - I used Alpaca Dreams which was the lovely sample sent to Roses and Rue
Crochet hook size 2.5


Abbreviations
K1 - Knit 1
P1 - Purl 1
K2 tog - Knit two stitches together


Left Hand Wrist Warmer
Cast on 45 stitches divided equally between the four needles - so N1 = 11 sts, N2 = 11 sts, N3 = 11sts and N4 = 12 sts
First row -  Check that your sts are not twisted and slip the last st on N4 onto N1 and K2 tog - this will give you a really smooth join, then K1 P1 to form your rib (44 sts)


Work 8 rows in rib (including 1st row)


Change to size 4 needles, work in garter stitch for 10 rows.


Heart pattern


Row 11: K 11, P1, K to the end of the row
Row 12: K 10, P3, K to the end of the row
Row 13: K 9, P5, K to the end of the row
Row 14: K8, P7, K to the end of the row
Row 15: K 7, P9, K to the end of the row
Row 16: K6, P11, K to the end of the row
Row 17: K6, P11, K to the end of the row
Row 18: K6, P11, K to the end of the row
Row 19: K6, P11, K to the end of the row
Row 20: K6, P5, K1, P5, K to the end of the row
Row 21: K7 P4, K3, P4, K to the end of the row
Row 21: K7 P4, K3, P4, K to the end of the row
Row 22: K8 P2, K5, P2, K to the end of the row
Row 23: K 9, P1, K5, P1, K to the end of the row


Knit 5 rows
At the end of the fourth needle, turn (this is going to be the start of your thumb opening, so yes there is meant to be a hole!) K1 and P to the last st, K1.
Next row, Turn and K to the end.
Repeat last two rows, three more times.
Now continue to knit in the round for 6 rows - in order to keep the tension tight around the top of the thumb hole, I slip the first two stitches on N1 onto N4 for a few rows, before slipping the sts back onto the correct needle.


Picot edging cast off
Cast off 2 sts, *slip the st on your right hand needle back on the left needle, cast on 2 sts, then cast off 5sts* Continue until you have 2 sts left, slip the st on your right hand needle onto R hand needle, cast on 2 sts, now cast off the remaining stitches.

Take your crochet hook and double crochet (single crochet if you are in the US) around the thumb hole, use the stitch at the end of each row as your chain stitch and slip stitch together when you have completed the thumb.
Sew in your loose ends.  Now take a piece of velvet ribbon (about 1/4" width x 18 inches long) and starting above your heart, thread the ribbon through the holes created by your picot edging and tie into a bow.

Right Hand Wrist Warmer

Work as for Left side until ** Knit across the first two needles and turn, now continue as for the left wrist warmer until the end of the pattern.
And now because I think they are very cute, here is a Sunday smiling Alpaca... 
Now, over you go and take a look at this week's Handmade Monday hosted by the VW Campervan Diva - Wendy.  I never cease to be amazed by the diversity of crafts which are posted up there.

17 comments:

bebebubu said...

They are very cute indeed and it look very warm too

The mum of all trades said...

they are lovely, they look so soft.

Anne - Imagination Beads said...

These would make fantastic Christmas pressies - I know it's a bit early in the year, but crafters have to plan ahead!

Baby Gray said...

They look very comfortable and stylish, the pattern though is far too advanced for me to try and follow, if its not basic knit or purl I can't do it!
Loving the pic of the alpaca too, very cute! x

Jan said...

Alpaca wool is so soft, there is an alpaca farm near where I live and they are so cute.

Jan x

Napiligal said...

I have some 5 ply alpaca that I think will work well.

Wendy said...

Love the wrist warmers (I have stood at many an outdoor market/fair in a cold winter where they would have been very welcome!) - the alpaca is cute too!

Sam Findlay said...

These are lovely and the heart detail is so sweet!

Ali said...

I love these - I bet they are really warm. Thank you for the Alpaca pic - any excuse to show these gorgeous animals is good for me!

BTW: did you know that you can't just have one Alpaca? I was told by a breeder that you need at least two otherwise they pine to death! Gotta love 'em!

Ali x

Helen said...

They are lovely. I am really pants at dpn knitting but i might be tempted to have a go at these. :)

Pickle Lily said...

Lucky you free alpaca wool! Thank-you for sharing the pattern. My daughter loves alpacas so these could feature in her Christmas stocking.
Jo x

Unknown said...

Well, I have found out a couple of other interesting facts about Alpacas, their fleeces are hypo-allergenic as they contain no lanolin and the use of Alpaca yarn was pioneered by Sir Titus Salt of Saltaire who found the fleeces on the docks at Liverpool.

Susie said...

That DOES make me wish I could knit, I think those look so awesome. And I adored your photo of the donator o the wool at the end! :)

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

No interesting Alpaca facts to add, just to say they look so snuggly, warm and on trend. Will have to get my knitting needles out. Thanks for writing up the pattern, have discovered Ravelry at long last.

Beadelicious said...

Loving the wrist warmers, they are fab :)

Martha said...

oh wow, they are charming! well-done! so cosy for rainy autumn and frosty winter :) pretty colour!

Bella-Boutique said...

oooo these are lovely. My aim for Winter is to learn how to knit so now I have something to aspire to. I wanted something to do when I'm sat at the craft fairs as I think they'd think me a bit odd if I turned up with my sewing machine!